In December, if all goes well, protons will start smashing together in an underground racetrack outside Geneva in a search for forces and particles that reigned during the first trillionth of a second of the Big Bang.
Obviously, Science has a different definition of “all goes well” than I do. Things not on my “all goes well” list:
- Dying in a fire
- Getting punched in my mini-ballers by a midget (think of the devastating angle they have on you)
- Being melted by toxic waste like that guy in Robocop
- RECREATING THE BIGGEST UNIVERSAL EXPLOSION ON EARTH FOR KICKS WITH YOUR FINGERS CROSSED THAT IT WON’T END EXISTENCE AS WE KNOW IT
But that’s not even the part that really frustrates me. Previously there was a notion that Science had some measure of prudence and competency. But Science has evacuated its collective gourd. From the above linked article:
Then it will be time to test one of the most bizarre and revolutionary theories in science. I’m not talking about extra dimensions of space-time, dark matter or even black holes that eat the Earth. No, I’m talking about the notion that the troubled collider is being sabotaged by its own future. A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.
Which is worse:
- Science is speculating there are time-traveling protective fairy particles to save us from ourselves.
- Science is willing to admit that there is a chance that a “Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature” that time-traveling protective fairy particles would come back to save us from ourselves.
Recommendation: Isn’t this the kind of thing that would give a reasonable person pause? Not Science dude, no Science just plans to plow through it and hope it all works out. Awesome. Science, before we get sucked into the vortex of unexistence, I’d like you to step into the ring with me, mano-a-scienco, I’m done with your shit man.
Math, you’re up next.
As an aside, we are still selling July 2008 End of the World Puts and September 2008 End of the World Puts. Although not technically in the money under conventional physics, with time-travel on the table they could still pay off.Related Reseach:
- Look Out Moon, Don't Mess Around With God's America
- Science Will Consume Us All, Literally
- September 2008 LHC End of the Universe Puts
- July 2008 LHC End of the Universe Puts
- Does Science Say It's Christmas or Not?
- Peak 2007?
- Investment Strategies in a World Where Time Travel is Possible
- Long Pluto, Short Scientists
- Using Science to Improve the Lives of the Rich
- I'm Long Science, in size.